Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Look who came back to life...

Well, hello again! It's been quite some time since I have checked in! I have been through some health challenges and continue to fight through others.

I was running 7 to 9 miles at a time...and then had to stop. Instead of couch to 5K, I went from 5K to couch! It was challenging to go from working out 4 days a week and running 9 miles at a time to being laid up on the couch for months.

I have decided that I am no longer going to allow the pain to rule my life and I am slowly getting back to running and weight training and yoga has become my new best friend!

It is unfortunate that the spinal pain and compression was caused by trauma...which occurred in a previous relationship. It took years for the pain to surface and when it did, it was brutal!

I share all of this to encourage others who are dealing with a similar situation in life.

When I first began to run, I used a walk and jog DVD by Leslie Sansone. I would walk in place and jog back and forth in my living room. It was my first step to becoming a runner. Now, to get BACK to running, I am using a free couch to 5K app on my phone. You too can run. Check with your doctor before starting a new program and know that if you use the app, when it directs you to run, you don't have to at full speed. You can simply jog and an easy pace. Just keep moving :)

I have so much to share, such as, how I have changed my diet and some of the recipes that have become my favorites. I will share everything in time.

For now, here is a tasty cucumber and feta salad I like to make: (pictured above)

Cucumber and Feta salad recipe
  • 2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
  • 1/4 red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 red pepper, chopped
  • Feta cheese,to taste
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Combine all ingredients into a bowl.
Drizzle salad with olive oil and white vinegar.
Serves 2 to 3 people as a side dish.




No comments:

Post a Comment